Microphone not working in Skype (and Zoom) on MacOS
I've had some weird issues for the last 2 months or so: I couldn't use Skype at all. (just so you know, you could take the same steps if you have these problems with Zoom)
- I could hear the person I was talking to, but they couldn't hear me.
- The Audio & Video settings in Skype were showing me that the microphone wasn't working, though it was working in basically all the other apps.
After testing everything I could think of, I looked for other solutions and here's what worked for me (image below, as well):
My Macbookpro stopped allowing Skype to talk to my built in microphone.
- To fix it - Go to System Preferences.
- Go to Security and Privacy
- Go to Privacy Tab
- Scroll down to Microphone - There you will see Skype pop up with a check box.
- Check the box - It will suggest that you re-start Skype and offer to do it for you.
- Restart Skype - your problem should be solved.
More context here. P.S.: here's a great list from The CEO Library with books about Working from Home or Remote work, Apple hardware is giving you some headaches these days? You can check this article as well: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen